CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm employed!!

As a state employee, Brian was required to take Furlough days about 8 or 9 months ago. He's up to 3 unpaid days off a month, but he's able to choose the day (the good part). Unfortunately, we've now eaten up all of our savings trying to 'get by' until the furloughs end (currently set to end summer of 2010). As a 1 income family in CA we've always had a tight budget. When we take a look, there are not a lot of areas that we can make cuts to make up that kind of a pay difference. So, it became time for me to find SOMETHING that would pay me rather than just volunteering.

Available jobs are also pretty hard to come by right now. I am not being super picky, applied darn near everywhere (except Ace hardware) and I finally received a call for an interview at Toys B They (not the actual name of course). I have been an employee for 1 week now and it's finally looking better.

It's not a dream job by any stretch of the imagination and it's only seasonal help, but it helps to fill the furlough void and I can work the hours around the kids' school schedules. I was unable to attend Ciera's softball games on Saturday, but made it for Logan's flag football. There will be some minor inconveniences, but it shouldn't be too bad. It will be crazy busy and it's super hot moving around cashiering, but it could be worse.

The first few days were really tough on my legs. I was so tired after a 4 or 5 hour shift, I actually slept 11 hours after my 3 shift, but by yesterday (1 week) I was doing ok.

I will continue to keep my eyes open and look for something a bit more enjoyable and profitable for after the holidays.

5 comments:

Wewurtskihit said...

Congrats!!! As a recently Layed off person I hear your voice loud and clear when it comes to tight budgets! We WERE a 1 income household. Now we are a NO income household....lol

Cyn said...

Mark-I had no idea! I am continually told to be thankful that we still have a position, even if we've lost 3 days of pay. Yours is another reminder.
I hope things turn around for you quickly and you're back to a 1 income family very, very soon!

J and D said...

Congrats on your new job. Retail is hard work!!

Millie said...

Retail is hard work! Congrats on finding something.

Alicia said...

Yay! For Money! I'm glad things are going well!