CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Schedules

With my new job and Ciera's new school have come some scheduling issues. We are picking our way around them and every day has a bit of a different solution.

Ciera is now attending a school that she LOVES, but it's located 20 minutes from our house. Her hours are 8:15-2:15. She has 1 minimum day per month which lets out at 11:40.

Logan is still at the Montessori. His hours are 8:10-3:00-about 5-7 minutes from our house. He has several minimum days per month that let out at 12:30. Typically I've been the minimum day mom and pick up several children on minimum days while their parents are working.

My job was supposed to be 7:50-2:00. I let them know in my interview that those hours would no longer work for me, so they adapted my hours to 8:15-2:25.

Brian leaves the house every morning at 6am and returns at 4. His commute is much longer than any of us.

So, here's are solution. Ciera and I leave the house at 7:30, I drop her off and then head back to Lincoln for my job. Logan is getting a ride to school to school with a neighbor and is currently ok with that set up (he gets his text messaging paid for not complaining about it). I get off at 2:25, 3-4 times a week I pick up a child at my school at 2:40, then we head to Logan's school to him and his friend up. I then drop off the 2 brothers. I've clearly left Ciera's pick up out of this discussion. We are still not sure what to do with that yet. For a while at least, Brian will be leaving work 1 1/2 early to pick her up (with 3 furloughs a month that he can use however he wants, this is currently working). On days that he can't leave early (like next T, Th) I will either pick her up at 2:40 or 3:30. We 'think' it will work out. Her best friend lives walking distance from the school and that is what she chose to do all of last week, so hopefully it will be fine.

Minimum days are a bit trickier. For Ciera, either she'll hang out with her friend, Brian will take a furlough day or we'll see if Grandma would like some Ciera time.

Minimum days for Logan were ok when I had my previous position. My lunch was at 12:25 and it was just enough time to pick the boys up and drop them off (the other mom is off at 1). However, with this position my lunch is supposed to be at 11:00. We may be able to move my lunch around on minimum days or I may just have to pick them up a little early-not really sure yet how we'll work that one out.

My school's yearly calendar doesn't quite match up with Ciera's and Logan's. Logan gets out the end of May, I get out the beginning of June and Ciera will get out mid-June. Also, Spring Break is on different weeks-not the best, but it's not the worst.

So it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good considering I'm no longer at home at their beckon call.

4 comments:

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Sounds like your figuring it all out. Might take some time to work out all the bumps. Are you comfortable with the kids taking the transit bus? At least C?

We have the same scheduling issues, we had to put Bailey in daycare because of it. I have to pay $110/wk for 45mins a day 5 days a week. So frustrating! And Anthony, well I just drive him to school but he gets there 40 mins before school starts, so he just sort of hangs around or goes in the school and gets stuff done.

You'd think it gets easier as kids get older but when their all in different schools it can make for some real challenges.

You'll get your groove, I'm glad you have those around you who are willing to help.

Queenie327 said...

just let us know when assistance is needed

J and D said...

Sounds crazy and fun!! Maybe Ciera should just walk. lol.....

Cyn said...

Hey J! I can't even imagine how early Ciera would have to leave to WALK-it's a 20 minute drive and it's country roads, so no sidewalks-I think I would worry all day about whether she was hit by a car on the way to school.